The Republican Assault on America
Well, they've really done it: After 41 attempts at repeal, Republicans have finally made good on their promise to shut down government rather than let uninsured Americans have affordable access to health care. Just how unconscionable is this move? Let's look at who is affected:
- More than 2 million federal workers will be impacted with delayed paychecks; 800,000 are furloughed. Whether or not these workers receive any back pay is an open question.
- Children with cancer will be turned away at the National Institutes of Health.
- Thanks to President Obama, those who serve our country will continue to be paid, but tuition assistance, promotions, and bonuses will be impacted, as will services on base, making life harder for military families.
- The Centers for Disease Control will halt its flu program, just in time for flu season.
- Food safety inspections will be suspended.
The FAA will furlough 3,000 airline safety inspectors.
Thousands of poor Head Start kids will be sent home.
Important scientific research will grind to a halt.
NASA has been shuttered.
And that's just the tip of the iceberg. This stunt by a party that fancies itself a bastion of fiscal rectitude will cost the country $300 million a day. It's not just disappointed visitors to national parks and the National Zoo's Panda Cam that are impacted. This shutdown means real pain to real people -- in some cases it could mean literally a life or death decision. And why? Let's repeat: to prevent people from having access to affordable health care.
Don't ever let anyone tell you that there is no difference between our two political parties.